Custom kernel poll summary

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 14 16:41:49 UTC 2012

On 2/14/12 7:43 AM, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 2:37:55 +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>   >  Here is what I got, the first column is the number of requests, the second
>   >  what is requested, and the 3rd my comments (basically it means, if there is a
>   >  comment, it is not needed/possible to include in a modular kernel):
>   >  ---snip---
>
> [..]
>
>   >  1 IPFIREWALL_FORWARD            ->  performance impact too big if unused (julian)

well it's not that big but you will be running extra code for every
packet unless you want it.
when I made it an option but I was mainly trying to placate the "just
say no" crowd.
I perswonally wouldn't  mind having it on by default in GENERIC, as
long as we still make it an option
so people who want every last drop of cpu can remove it.