siisch1: Error while READ LOG EXT

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Feb 14 14:37:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:30:29AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 2/10/2012 8:43 PM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > On 2/10/2012 8:27 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> I wanted to make you aware of this commit that just came through:
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cam/ata/ata_da.c
> >
> > Thanks, I did see that.  I was going to wait until Monday to csup up
> > once all the weekend level zeros are done.  The prior kernels from Nov
> > 28th never saw these READ LOG EXT errors on either of these 2 big zfs boxes
>

> So far so good. Unfortunately, I had to make 2 changes to the box
> showing the problem the most. I changed the cable (the new one does seem
> to fit more snug) as well as updated the code.  I havent done many level
> 0 dumps to it (the real test will be the weekend), but so far so good.
> On the other box that did show the same READ LOG EXT error, I also
> updated the kernel, but made no hardware changes. It too has not yet
> shown any errors since the upgrade.
>
> I changed the cable at 8am local time yesterday, and I take snapshots of
> smartctl at 5am

Cool.

> I did see this error increase in 24hrs, but that was on a disk that was
> off the motherboard.  Perhaps a new cable for it too.
>
> < 0x000a  2           12  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a
> COMRESET
> ---
> > 0x000a  2            6  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a
> COMRESET

This ID tracks the number of times an actual communication reset command
was sent from the drive to the controller via a FIS packet.  This is at
the SATA layer, not the ATA command layer.  It's completely normal/okay
for a drive to have this number increase, especially if the machine is
shut off, force-reset (via reset button), or in some cases simply soft
rebooted.  Nothing to worry about here; no need to adjust cables or
otherwise.  Values 6, 12, etc. are all perfectly reasonable and will
vary from system to system based on use.

| Parodius Networking                     http://www.parodius.com/ |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                 Mountain View, CA, US |