Regression in 8.2-STABLE bge code (from 7.4-STABLE)

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:26:02 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 09:24:53PM -0500, Michael L. Squires wrote:

Sorry for late reply.  Had been busy due to relocation.

> There is a bug in the Tyan S4881/S4882 PCI-X bridges that was fixed with a
> patch in 7.x (thank you very much).  This patch is not present in the
> 8.2-STABLE code and the symptoms (watchdog timeouts) have recurred.

Hmm, I thought the mailbox reordering bug was avoided by limiting
DMA address space to 32bits but it seems it was not right workaround
for AMD 8131 PCI-X Bridge.

> The watchdog timeouts do not appear to be present after I switched to an
> Intel gigabit PCI-X card.
>
> I did a brute-force patch of the 8.2-STABLE bge code using the patches for
> 7.4-STABLE; the resulting code compiled and, other than odd behavior at
> startup, seems to be working normally.
>
> This is using FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE amd64; I don't know what happens with
> i386.
>
> Given the age of the boards it may be easier if I just continue using the
> Intel gigabit card but am happy to test anything that comes my way.

Try attached patch and let me know how it goes.
I didn't enable 64bit DMA addressing though. I think the AMD-8131
PCI-X bridge needs both workarounds.