LSI supported mps(4) driver in stable/9 and stable/8

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Feb 13 11:49:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:11:30PM +0100, Johan Hendriks wrote:
> Ok so it is not the mps driver who does the naming but cam, and that
> also has changed on 9.0 Stable.
> Well i use gpart labels for the pool, so i can use the gpart labels
> to yank the right disk.
> But it would be nicer if there was some kind of logic in the
> numbering of the devices.

"Wire them down" in FreeBSD using loader.conf variables and this issue
will cease to be a problem.  Example is below, despite being for SATA
with AHCI -- really doesn't matter, just change the appropriate bits and
it should be fine for you.

# "Wire down" device names (ada[0-5]) to each individual port
# on the SATA/AHCI controller.  This ensures that if we reboot
# with a disk missing, the device names stay the same, and stay
# attached to the same SATA/AHCI controller.
# http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-March/011036.html
#
hint.scbus.0.at="ahcich0"
hint.scbus.1.at="ahcich1"
hint.scbus.2.at="ahcich2"
hint.scbus.3.at="ahcich3"
hint.scbus.4.at="ahcich4"
hint.scbus.5.at="ahcich5"
hint.ada.0.at="scbus0"
hint.ada.1.at="scbus1"
hint.ada.2.at="scbus2"
hint.ada.3.at="scbus3"
hint.ada.4.at="scbus4"
hint.ada.5.at="scbus5"

| Parodius Networking                     http://www.parodius.com/ |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                 Mountain View, CA, US |