Reducing the need to compile a custom kernel

Mon Feb 13 11:05:34 UTC 2012

Quoting perryh at pluto.rain.com (from Mon, 13 Feb 2012 02:17:46 -0800):

> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

>> > Might it be feasible to make it into a sysctl, so it could be
>> > set in loader.conf?
>>
>> There is already a way to configure this as soon as you have a
>> working userland. What this setting is doing is to replace the
>> compiled-in default keymap with a different one, so that you have
>> the one which matches your keyboard even when you enter the very
>> first keystrokes in single-user mode (root-pw, path to shell, ...).
>
> My point is, if it were made into a sysctl, it could presumably
> be set in loader.conf -- thereby providing the correct keymap for
> those "very first keystrokes" without needing a custom kernel.
>
> I know that's not how it works _now_, but is there some reason why
> this approach is not feasible?  It seems like something that could
> potentially go on the the list of projects to reduce the need for
> custom kernels.

Feasible: depend upon your definition of "feasible". You would have to
add all keymaps statically into the kernel. No idea which parts
exactly we talk about, but:
---snip---
% du -h /usr/share/syscons/
  40k    /usr/share/syscons/scrnmaps
570k    /usr/share/syscons/fonts
1.1M    /usr/share/syscons/keymaps
1.8M    /usr/share/syscons/
---snip---

I wouldn't mind for 40k, but 1.8M looks more like the value to
calculate with. Anyway, this is out of the scope of the original
question.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
On successive charts of the same organization, the number of
boxes will never decrease.