Reducing the need to compile a custom kernel

Sat Feb 11 17:26:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:13:53 -0800 Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> I've done this a few times.

Me too, and others probably too, so let's end the waste of time and
provide one officially.

> The /boot/loader takes a _long_ time to suck in the 25 odd modules my
> eeepc requires to load a completely modular kernel. It takes a _very
> long_ time to suck these in over USB.

I suggest to compile a monolithic kernel for your eeepc (or update to
a FreeBSD which is able to load klds from rc.conf).

> It's a great idea and I think we should start down this path in the
> 10-CURRENT trajectory but those load times need to be tweaked if
> possible.

The result will be committed to -current first, it's just that the
audience for this change is more likely to read this list than
current@, hackers@ or arch at .

Bye,
Alexander.