known problems with 8.x and HP DL16 G5 server?

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sat Feb 11 15:21:25 UTC 2012

On Feb 11, 2012, at 4:55 AM, Jan Mikkelsen <janm at transactionware.com> wrote:

> On 11/02/2012, at 7:30 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
>>
>> turns out that the HP machine has an HP branded (and with different firmware) raid controller
>> that is not quite the same as the standard one. FreeBSD can't handle it and dies.
>>
>> Josh Paetzel may remember the exact type.. I forget..
>>

> I have some memory of HP DL160 servers with an embedded ciss(4) controller taking a long time to boot. I recall a delay of multiple minutes. I don't remember what I did to work around it.
>
> Does it really stop, or is it just being slow?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jan.

It really does stop. It was left overnight once. It has an old mpt (rebranded lsi 1068) with HP firmware on it. The controller takes way too long to probe but eventually it passes that and then hangs where Julian describes.

If you poke around on the web, there's posts where this machine hangs on boot on 6.2, 7.0 and 8.0. Removing the HBA allows it to boot normally.

My next troubleshooting step would be replacing the HBA with one with stock LSI firmware.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel