9-stable from i386 to amd64

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 07:35:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:02:07AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Feb 10), Randy Bush said:
> > is there a recipe for moving from i386 to amd64?
> >
> > on a very remote system, i made the migration from 7.4 to 8.2 to 9.0, all
> > 32-bit.  it was done with repeated
> >
> >     make buildworld
> >     make kernel.new [0]
> >     nextboot -k kernel.new
> >     reboot
> >     make installworld
> >     etc
> >
> >     [0] - well, there were some mv(1)s in there :)
> >
> > so after it was happy with 9.0 i386, i went to move to amd64 with
> >
> >     make buildworld TARGET=amd64
> >     make kernel TARGET=amd64 DESTDIR=kernel.new [0]
> >     nextboot -k kernel.new
> >     reboot
> >
> > it did not come back from the reboot, and required a manual reset.  i have
> > no console access to the machine, not my choice.
> >
> > clue bat please.
>
> You probably got bit by a mismatched /libexec/ld-elf.so. The kernel expects
> that to be the "native" version, and on a 64-bit kernel it also expects a
> ld-elf32.so to be the "compat" 32-bit version.  When you rebooted onto the
> 64-bit kernel, it couldn't find /libexec/ld-elf32.so to run any of the
> 32-bit binaries on the system.  My guess is that your reboot attempt died in
> /sbin/init, prompting for a path to /bin/sh.  If you compiled with a static
> /bin/sh for performance, it probably died very early in /etc/rc.
These statements are false, esp. worrying is that they are
interwinned with some facts that get tilted to support false presumption.

Kernel do not care about which interpreter is /libexec/ld-elf.so.
The path to the interpreter is specified in the binary itself. So if you
have 32bit binary that put '/libexec/ld-elf.so.1' into PH_INTERP,
and /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 is 32bit, then amd64 kernel properly executes
that combination.

Kernel has a hack that falls back to try to use /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1
for some 'brands' of ELF images, in particular, for 32bit binaries. This
is done to help in situation when 32bit binaries also specified the
same path for interpreter.

If you have 32bit world installed and booted 64bit kernel, it will boot.
It is the same as running 32bit world in the jail.
The management functions, like configuring network interfaces, ZFS
and many other system setup functionality does not work, indeed.

> I think copying ld-elf.so over to ld-elf32.so might have been all you needed
> to boot, but that would end up with a 64-bit kernel running a true 32-bit
> userland with all the libraries in the "wrong" place, and your
> "installworld" step would replace them with their 64-bit equivalents and
> your install would die halfway through, leaving you with a large mess to
> clean up.
Absolute false.