siisch1: Error while READ LOG EXT

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Feb 9 18:37:07 UTC 2012

On 2/9/2012 11:34 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> You will probably need to "track these drives" on a regular basis.  That
> is to say, set up some cronjob or similar that logs the above output to
> a file (appends data to it), specifically output from smartctl -A (not
> -a and not -x) and smartctl -l sataphy on a per-disk basis.  smartd can
> track SMART attribute changes, but does not track GPLog changes.  Make
> sure to put timestamps in your logs.

Thanks very much for having a look, and the suggestions. It think this
is the way to go to see which drive my have errors incrementing.
Alexander, is there a better way you can suggest ?

> As for fixing the problem: I have no idea how you would go about this.
> Use of port multipliers involves additional cables, possibly of shoddy
> quality, or other components which may not be decent/reliable.

Possibly.  Cables are one of those things I am happy to "pay extra for
better quality" but how does one assess quality of such parts.

> Overall, this is just one of the many reasons why I avoid PMs, as well
> as avoid eSATA (especially eSATA).

Yeah, at some point it doesnt really work with too many PMs, especially
if you cant query the thing to find out where things are "bad".  I think
for the next version of this box I will use the newer generation 3ware
SAS/SATA controller

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400