zfs arc and amount of wired memory

Thu Feb 9 13:55:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

feel free to register with FirstnameLastname in the wiki and tell us about it. We provide write access to people which seriously want to help improve the wiki content.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Send via an Android device, please forgive brevity and typographic and spelling errors.

Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> hat geschrieben:
On Feb 8, 2012, at 7:43 PM, Artem Belevich wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Jeremy Chadwick
> <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 01:11:36AM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>>> ARC Size:
>>>          Current Size:             1769 MB (arcsize)
>>>          Target Size (Adaptive):   512 MB (c)
>>>          Min Size (Hard Limit):    512 MB (zfs_arc_min)
>>>          Max Size (Hard Limit):    3584 MB (zfs_arc_max)
>>>
>>> The target size is going down to the min size and after few more
>>> days, the system is so slow, that I must reboot the machine. Then it
>>> is running fine for about 107 days and then it all repeat again.
>>>
>>> You can see more on MRTG graphs
>>> http://freebsd.quip.cz/ext/2012/2012-02-08-kiwi-mrtg-12-15/
>>> You can see links to other useful informations on top of the page
>>> (arc_summary, top, dmesg, fs usage, loader.conf)
>>>
>>> There you can see nightly backups (higher CPU load started at
>>> 01:13), otherwise the machine is idle.
>>>
>>> It coresponds with ARC target size lowering in last 5 days
>>> http://freebsd.quip.cz/ext/2012/2012-02-08-kiwi-mrtg-12-15/local_zfs_arcstats_size.html
>>>
>>> And with ARC metadata cache overflowing the limit in last 5 days
>>> http://freebsd.quip.cz/ext/2012/2012-02-08-kiwi-mrtg-12-15/local_zfs_vfs_meta.html
>>>
>>> I don't know what's going on and I don't know if it is something
>>> know / fixed in newer releases. We are running a few more ZFS
>>> systems on 8.2 without this issue. But those systems are in
>>> different roles.
>>
>> This sounds like the... damn, what is it called... some kind of internal
>> "counter" or "ticks" thing within the ZFS code that was discovered to
>> only begin happening after a certain period of time (which correlated to
>> some number of days, possibly 107).  I'm sorry that I can't be more
>> specific, but it's been discussed heavily on the lists in the past, and
>> fixes for all of that were committed to RELENG_8.  I wish I could
>> remember the name of the function or macro or variable name it pertained
>> to, something like LTHAW or TLOCK or something like that.  I would say
>> "I don't know why I can't remember", but I do know why I can't remember:
>> because I gave up trying to track all of these problems.
>>
>> Does someone else remember this issue?  CC'ing Martin who might remember
>> for certain.
>
> It's LBOLT. :-)
>
> And there was more than one related integer overflow. One of them
> manifested itself as L2ARC feeding thread hogging CPU time after about
> a month of uptime. Another one caused issue with ARC reclaim after 107
> days. See more details in this thread:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-May/011584.html

This would be an excellent piece of information to have on one of the ZFS
wiki pages.  The 107 day issue exists post-8.2, correct?  Anyone on this
cc: list have permissions to edit those pages?

Thanks,

Charles