FreeBSD 9 crash/deadlock when dump(8)ing file system with journaling enabled.

Adam Strohl adams-freebsd at ateamsystems.com
Fri Feb 3 10:15:38 UTC 2012

On 2/3/2012 15:45, Marcel Bonnet wrote:
> Hi, what would be the best choice?
>
> 1. turn off SUJ and dump using -L flag and the turn it on again (but I'm
> affraid to destroy the system this way - is this possible?)

Yes, this is what I have done for my 9.0 servers.  Unfortunately you
need to be in single user mode if you need to change /'s setting.   This
is because you cannot change this option while a file system is mounted
read+write.  Rebooting into single user mode is the easiest way to do
this, as it leaves you with / mounted read only and everything else
dismounted for you.

Then I ran:

tunefs -j disable /<mountpoint>

For each volume that journaling was enabled for.

As a side note remove the .sujournal file in the base of each volume
afterwards as it just takes up space.

After doing this I have been using dump(8) nightly via cron(8) for about
a week now under 9.0 without issue.  Running it on 11 servers currently.