Geom label lost after expanding partition

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:01:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Mark Saad <nonesuch at longcount.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a GPT formatted disk where I recently expanded the size of a
>> partition. I used "gpart resize -i 6 ada1" first to expand the
>> partition to use the remaining free space and then growfs to modify
>> the FFS file system to use the full partition. This was all done in
>> single-user mode, of course, but when I enter "exit" to bring the
>> system up, it failed to mount /usr. This was because /dev/ufs/usr did
>> not exist!
>>
>> I assumed that gpart "lost" the label when it resized the partition
>> (which looked like a minor bug to me), but I have been completely
>> unable to re-create the label. I first tried  tunefs and then glabel.
>> (The handbook says glabel can be used, though the glabel man page is
>> explicit that it can't.) Both complete with no errors, but neither
>> fixes the problem. I still don't see any /dev/usf/usr. "glabel list"
>> does not even list the geom.
>>
>> I do get the following GEOM messages in dmesg:
>> GEOM: ada1p2: invalid disklabel.
>> GEOM: ufsid/4df4feeda0ce6d5c: invalid disklabel.
>> GEOM: ufs/root: invalid disklabel.
>> GEOM: gpt/root: invalid disklabel.
>> GEOM: gptid/43f0eafd-ba3a-11e0-b70a-f0def166a11e: invalid disklabel.
>>
>> but /dev/ufs/root works fine to mount /, and I have always seen these
>> errors and have never been able to figure out what is causing them.
>>
>>  I ended up entering the actual drive node (/dev/ada1p6) into my
>> fstab. This works, but brings back the old issues of having to edit
>> the fstab any time the drive is moved.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea how to get the labels to work again? I'm not
>> even sure what tool displays what label as I can label with glabel,
>> tunefs, and newfs
>> --
>> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>> E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com
>
> Kevin
>  I believe the UFS or geom_labels  are stuck at the end of the
> partition so , I can see how it would wipe them out if you resized it.
> Can you run "glabel status" and "glabel list" send us the results ?

Mark,

Thanks for looking at this.

I assume that "gpart resize" would take care of moving the geom
metadata to the new last sector of the geom, but glabel does not seem
to know it is there at all: (The partition in question is ada1p6.)
> glabel status
                                      Name  Status  Components
                           ntfs/SYSTEM_DRV     N/A  ada0s1
                          ntfs/Windows7_OS     N/A  ada0s2
                      ntfs/Lenovo_Recovery     N/A  ada0s3
                                ntfs/Media     N/A  ada0s4
gptid/12c41a54-ba3a-11e0-b70a-f0def166a11e     N/A  ada1p1
                                  ufs/root     N/A  ada1p2
                                   ufs/var     N/A  ada1p4
                                   ufs/tmp     N/A  ada1p5
                                   gpt/Aux     N/A  ada1p7
gptid/aef508e9-bbbb-11e0-abd6-f0def166a11e     N/A  ada1p7
> glabel list
Geom name: ada0s1
Providers:
1. Name: ntfs/SYSTEM_DRV
   Mediasize: 1258291200 (1.2G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 1048576
   Mode: r1w1e1
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 2457600
   length: 1258291200
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada0s1
   Mediasize: 1258291200 (1.2G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 1048576
   Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada0s2
Providers:
1. Name: ntfs/Windows7_OS
   Mediasize: 113291296768 (105G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 1259339776
   Mode: r1w1e1
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 221272064
   length: 113291296768
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada0s2
   Mediasize: 113291296768 (105G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 1259339776
   Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada0s3
Providers:
1. Name: ntfs/Lenovo_Recovery
   Mediasize: 16777216000 (15G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 2646605824
   Mode: r1w1e1
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 32768000
   length: 16777216000
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada0s3
   Mediasize: 16777216000 (15G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 2646605824
   Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada0s4
Providers:
1. Name: ntfs/Media
   Mediasize: 188743629312 (175G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 2881518592
   Mode: r1w1e1
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 368639901
   length: 188743629312
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada0s4
   Mediasize: 188743629312 (175G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 2881518592
   Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada1p1
Providers:
1. Name: gptid/12c41a54-ba3a-11e0-b70a-f0def166a11e
   Mediasize: 65536 (64k)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r0w0e0
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 128
   length: 65536
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada1p1
   Mediasize: 65536 (64k)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r0w0e0

Geom name: ada1p2
Providers:
1. Name: ufs/root
   Mediasize: 1073741824 (1.0G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r1w1e1
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 2097152
   length: 1073741824
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada1p2
   Mediasize: 1073741824 (1.0G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada1p4
Providers:
1. Name: ufs/var
   Mediasize: 5231345664 (4.9G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r1w1e1
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 10217472
   length: 5231345664
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada1p4
   Mediasize: 5231345664 (4.9G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada1p5
Providers:
1. Name: ufs/tmp
   Mediasize: 536870912 (512M)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r1w1e1
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 1048576
   length: 536870912
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada1p5
   Mediasize: 536870912 (512M)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada1p7
Providers:
1. Name: gpt/Aux
   Mediasize: 659313926144 (614G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r0w0e0
   secoffset: 0
   offset: 0
   seclength: 1287722512
   length: 659313926144
   index: 0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada1p7
   Mediasize: 659313926144 (614G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 4096
   Stripeoffset: 0
   Mode: r0w0e0

Geom name: ada1p7
Providers:
1. Name: gptid/aef508e9-bbbb-11e0-abd6-f0def166a11e

E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com