local APIC error 0x40

Dan Allen danallen46 at airwired.net
Wed Aug 1 22:05:05 UTC 2012

On Aug 1, 2012, at 10:06 AM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Can you use a binary search on the date to narrow down which commit breaks it?

Sadly, I cannot.  I upgraded the machine to RELENG_9.  The powerd demon appears to control the fan okay now.  However I still must use the apic hint in loader.conf to turn off my 2nd core or else I get flooded with that "0x40" error message.

Today running in 9.1 PRERELEASE I have a quiet fan, only one core, and I have got a "stray irc7" message a couple of times.  This is all on my Core Duo Toshiba Satellite U205.

Meanwhile, on a Pentium 4 and a tiny Dell Mini 10 Inspiron with an Intel Atom chip, everything is fine with RELENG_9.  It is just this Toshiba, which ran perfectly for years with FreeBSD 6, 7, but things have declined with 8.0 and later.

Dan