FreeBSD 9.0 - BCE_JUMBO_HDRSPLIT kernel option for bce device still needed?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Thu Apr 26 14:02:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:41:40 -0500, Andrey Zonov <andrey at zonov.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is no such option in the kernel anymore, instead there is
> hw.bce.hdr_split tunable which is turn on by default.

I've tried the kernel option and playing with this tunable on a pair of HP
DL380s and had to give up. I was building ZFS SAN heads and was going to
have 2x bce and 2x igb ethernets each LACP and Jumbo Frames. The bce
devices simply would not work with jumbo frames. The packets disappeared
into the great ether or something. Our switches never saw any being sent,
and receiving jumbo frames showed absolutely no traffic via tcpdump.

After dropping in a quad Intel NIC (4x igb) everything worked as expected.

The bce hardware or driver is sketchy and I'd avoid it.