r232411 breaks onboard 1068 detection

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue Apr 3 23:06:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 02:38:54AM +0400, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 02:26:38AM +0400, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> >> The device in question is a built-in 1068-based controller on a
> >> SuperMicro X8ST3 board.
> >>
> >> It can be converted to MegaRAID mode with a special addon "button"
> >> (AOC-IButton68).
> >>
> >> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8ST3-F.cfm
> >
> > Okay, so unless these devices also can be driven by mfi(4) when not
> > in MegaRAID mode, we need a way to tell both modes apart in the probe
> > functions of both drivers.
>
> mfi(4) obviously didn't attach, but if anyone is willing to provide a
> quick patch listing the IDs in mfi(4), I'll try.
>
> I wouldn't welcome the change though, as we prefer the JBOD way.

I still highly doubt that 0x59 will work with mfi(4) in non-MegaRAID
mode.
Looking at the source of the Linux megasr driver, that one attaches to
several 0x59 devices but only in case of certain sub-vendor (amongst
other Supermicro) and sub-device IDs, but not in case of a sub-vendor
ID of LSI and a sub-device ID of 0x1000 like in your case. So this
seems like a way to go to distinguish the modes if LSI can provide
a complete list of sub-device IDs (and sub-vendor in case something
besides LSI is used) in which case 0x59 should be treated in MPT
mode.

Marius