Text relocations in kernel modules

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:56:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Richard Yao <ryao at cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:
>> There are no security implications, no system resources to be wasted.
>>
>> And if you think there are security implications, then lets see a
>> proof-of-concept.
>
> If I find time to write a proof-of-concept, I promise to publish it
> publicly. Your security team will find out when everyone else does.

Richard, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. You have
had a clear explanation of why certain things are done in a certain
way in the FreeBSD codebase, and a confirmation that they do not think
it causes any security issues in FreeBSD.

Your response is to threaten to write an exploit against FreeBSD, and
distribute it publicly before disclosing to security at .

Are you trying to be an ass? Someone disagrees with you on the
internet, so you throw all the toys out the pram?

Tom