usbus is seen as network interface - Fwd: sjakie.klop.ws daily run output

Daryl Richards daryl at isletech.net
Tue Sep 20 14:11:26 UTC 2011

On 9/20/2011 8:54 AM, Paul Mather wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2011, at 6:11 AM, Ronald Klop wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Why is usbus seen as a network interface since some time?
>> I'm running 9-CURRENT on amd64.
> I've been wondering this, too.  It also started happening sometime in the lifetime of 8-STABLE some months ago, with "netstat -i" showing usbus network interfaces despite no ethernet NIC being attached.  It appears that "ifconfig" is smart enough to omit these in output, as was netstat in former times on RELENG_8 (and still is on RELENG_7), so why include them now?  Just wondering...
I've been wondering as well, since all of a sudden tcpdump needs me to
specify the adaptor..

root at server:~# tcpdump
tcpdump: WARNING: usbus0: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: unsupported data link type USB
root at server:~# tcpdump -i nfe0
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on nfe0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes