7-stable: Root mount problem (mpt, probing / timing related)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Sep 20 13:42:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've updated a server with mpt controller to the latest
7-stable (ok, it's 7-stable from last week).  During the
boot sequence, the disk connected to the mpt controller (da0)
seems to be probed too late, i.e. just _after_ the kernel
tries to mount the root file system.  It's just a fraction
of a second too late.

This is a screen shot of the situation:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/tmp2/screenshot-boot.jpg

Of course, I can enter "ufs:da0s1a" at the rootmount prompt,
and the machine continues to boot fine.  But this is a
server that should be able to boot unattended, so I need
this to be fixed.

What's the "official" way to fix this?  I think someone else
had a similar problem some time ago, but a quick search of
the lists doesn't yield anything.

(BTW:  Interestingly, the same machine boots fine without
hickup when booting 8-stable which is installed on another
Slice of the same disk.  This could be just coincidence,
maybe the timing of probing is slightly different between
7-stable and 8-stable.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"