change in io statistics since updating 8.2-STABLE

Robert Schulze rs at bytecamp.net
Mon Sep 19 14:36:10 UTC 2011

Hello,

like described in another thread, we recently updated a fileserver from
8.2-STABLE at 2011-05-08 to 8.2-STABLE at 2011-09-08 (amd64 both). ZPool is
left at v14, the filesystems at version 3. Nothing in /boot/loader.conf
or /etc/sysctl.conf has been changed.

We now realize that r/w behaviour has changed on the whole pool.
The l2arc devices (2 SSDs) have decreased in writes from average 10M/sec
(peaks at 20 M/sec) to <5M/sec.

On the other hand, reads on the disks (2x5 disks raidz2) have increased
(nearly doubled on each disk).

I suspect, that the cache is somewhat faulty or has become slow, and so
ZFS decides to read data from main storage instead of the cache. Is
there another explaination? Are there some defaults of sysctls which
have been changed from May to September?

with kind regards,
Robert Schulze