Usling vlan(4) without an actual lan behind it

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Mon Sep 19 13:59:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, September 19, 2011 08:45, Pete French wrote:
>> Does it specifically have to be a vlan(4), or can you perhaps add
>> another
>> address to lo(4), or perhaps create a "lo1" in addition to the "lo0"?
>
> It can be anything really - I was looking for a "generic" interface
> I can configure with IP addresses. But adding real addresses to
> loopback interfaces can cause problems can it not ?

No, you can create an lo0:1 that's a /32 and it shouldn't be a problem.

There are a bunch HOWTOs around on configuring anycast that instruct one
to put the "service" IP on an alias on lo0 and then run an OSPF process
that advertises that this IP is available on this host (which acts as a
router).

http://www.openfusion.net/linux/anycast_dns