System freeze: Adaptec (aac) timeouts (releng 8)

Elliot Finley efinley.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:04:44 UTC 2011

I was having the exact same problem using an Adaptec 52445.  After
downloading and using the latest driver from the adaptec website, the
problems stopped.  I haven't had a single freeze since using the new
code.  The newest driver from the website has source code with it, so
it shouldn't be that big of a deal to incorporate it into the base
system.    I emailed the authors of the aac driver (Mike Smith and
Scott Long), but they have both retired.  So I'm not really sure how
to get this code into the base.  If anyone knows, please take up the
charge.