can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Wed Oct 26 19:37:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Claude Buisson <clbuisson at orange.fr> wrote:

> Doing my home work step by step:
>
> I found only 1 place in VLC where the first message:
>
> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
>
> is emitted, after an:
>
> ioctl( p_vcddev->i_device_handle, CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE, &i_size )
>
> CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE is defined in sys/cdrio.h, and in the kernel used in:
>
> sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c
>
> which is a brought into the kernel by:
>
> device atapicd
>
> So the natural question is:
>
> Is this ioctl supported with ATA_CAM (and atapicam) ?
>
> If not, what is to be used instead ?

Claude,

Thanks for digging into this a bit.

I just added some code to make it easier for applications to detect
at runtime if ATA_CAM has been configured in the kernel:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-stable-9/2011-October/000114.html

I am not 100% sure how the CD driver works with ATA_CAM.

I think you might need to look at:

src/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_cd.c

and also read the cd(4) man page.

We may need to extend scsi_cd.c, but I'm not sure.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc at crodrigues.org