can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

Claude Buisson clbuisson at orange.fr
Wed Oct 26 08:33:16 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 03:28, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Claude Buisson<clbuisson at orange.fr>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
>> ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
>> atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.
>
> Hi,
>
> Would vlc have worked if, while ATA_CAM was enabled,
> there was a symlink so that /dev/acd0 ->  cd0 ?

Just to be sure, I just made the test, and the answer is: NO

I have already written that vlc writes a susccession of messages

[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn

incrementing each time the sector number.

So I infer that vlc cannot set the correct (audio specific) sector size for the
cam device.

Thanks for your attention.

Claude Buisson

P.S. As I can see reading GENERIC, ATA_CAM will be the default for 9.X so there
is a risk of complaints from FreeBSD workstation users (who cares ?) after the
release..