ntpd couldn't resolve host name on system boot

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Oct 25 15:02:37 UTC 2011

Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 05:51:08AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>>
>>> How would you like to see multiple interfaces implemented:
>>>
>>>    - All interfaces must be up at the same time
>>>    - Probe interfaces one by one, proceed to the next when an interface
>>>      up or bail out when any interface stays down until the loop times
>>>      out
>>
>> 1) Each interface should be checked in the order specified.
>> 2) Each ping probe should be done using that interface (ping -I).
>
>> From ping(8):
>
>      -I iface
> 	Source multicast packets with the given interface address.  This
> 	flag only applies if the ping destination is a multicast address.
>
> I believe that for unicast the interface used is determined by looking
> up the destination address in the routing table (unless overridden by a
> packet filter that changes the next hop).  Another way to influence the
> next hop selection and the outgoing interface is using setfib(1) but
> apart from rc.d/jail I see no fib support in rc.conf at all.

OT:
Unfortunately there are two PRs with patches to add setfib support to
rc.subr, but both of them are laying under the dust without attention of
committers.
conf/132483 conf/132851

I tried to bring it to attention in freebsd-rc@ without any luck. (same
as my attempt to add support for cpuset conf/142434). So we have
features / tools without centralized support in rc.subr and if anybody
want to use them, must do it by some hacky ways in rc.local etc.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2010-January/001816.html

Miroslav Lachman