ntpd couldn't resolve host name on system boot

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 23:47:24 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Chadwick" <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com>

> The problem is that the networking layer is not TRULY available by the
> time ntpd starts.  This does have to do with NIC drivers, but the same
> behaviour can be seen on all NICs, including excellent ones like em(4).

This is generally caused by links to high end switches e.g. cisco which
havent had their "server" ports configured with portfast or similar
settings. This creates quite a delay once link establishes before traffic
is passed and hence the issue.

netwait is an excellent script which fixes this and other network dependency
issues, something we use as standard on all our machines now :)

    Regards
    Steve