8.1 xl + dual-speed Netgear hub = yoyo

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Oct 24 22:43:13 UTC 2011

On 23-10-2011 17:09, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

>> but there was no forwarding table and all packets were forwarded
>> to all ports.
>
> I always figured that's normal for a "hub" as opposed to a "switch".
>
>> I also remember that SOME hubs of that era had series problems if
>> the cable was too short.

How come I feel old.

Well I think that that was the reason why thick-Ethernet used to have
repeaters and bridges.

Repeaters just did what they said, on the most basic electrical level.
Nothing more that a 2 port HUB, but then with MUI connectors.
They where just part of the collision domain.

Bridges actually learned which hosts where on the left and the right
side. And only bridged when they really needed to. Otherwise they'd
leave the traffic on the segment where it originated. It did segment the
collision domain into two parts.

And they used to be horrendously expensive and only run 10Mbit.

--WjW