/usr/bin/script eating 100% cpu with portupgrade and xargs

Chris Rees crees at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 23 06:48:01 UTC 2011

On 14 Oct 2011 21:50, "Stefan Bethke" <stb at lassitu.de> wrote:

> Am 14.10.2011 um 14:03 schrieb Jilles Tjoelker:

> >> So far I have been unable to reproduce the problem with portupgrade
(and
> >> will probably move to portmaster).
> >
> >> I have however found a different but possibly related problem with the
> >> new version of script in RELENG_8, for which I have raised this PR:
> >
> >> misc/161526: script outputs corrupt if input is not from a terminal
> >
> >> Blast, should of course been bin/
> >
> > The extra ^D\b\b are the EOF character being echoed. These EOF
> > characters are being generated by the new script(1) to pass through the
> > EOF condition on stdin.
> >
> > One fix would be to change the termios settings temporarily to disable
> > the echoing but this may cause problems if the application is changing
> > termios settings concurrently and generally feels bad.
> >
> > It may be best to remove writing EOF characters, perhaps adding an
> > option to enable it again if there is a concrete use case for it.
>
> I finally figured out why my ports aren't updating anymore: when running
portupgrade -a --batch from cron, stdin is /dev/null, and that produces the
gobs of ^D in the output, as well as the script file that portupgrade
creates.  What's worse is that the upgrade never completes.

Worst of all, you're running portupgrade from cron without reading UPDATING,
which is just asking for trouble.

Chris