(Possible fix for sbp(4)) Re: Comment out sbp driver from GENERIC

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Wed Oct 19 23:45:18 UTC 2011

Alberto Villa wrote this message on Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 14:12 +0200:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Wojciech A. Koszek
> <wkoszek at freebsd.czest.pl> wrote:
> > Commenting a driver out is almost always a bad idea and should
> > be done as a last step.
>
> Well, few weeks prior to -RELEASE can be considered a last step. :)

Considering that no discussion has happened on the -firewire list, nor
does there appear to be any active PRs tracking this, I think it's a bad
idea to remove the sbp.  If someone spends the time to properly file a
bug report, then we can tie the reinclusion of sbp to fixing the PR.
If we disabled everything that hangs on one or two systems, we wouldn't
have many devices in the kernel.

The closest bug I could find that relate to this issue is kern/97208.
The last activity on this bug was over two years ago, so clearly not
many people are reporting the issue to the propler places (-firewire
or PR database).

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579