Interpreting MCA error output

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Oct 18 07:19:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 09:37:43AM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I should really work with John to make mcelog a FreeBSD port and just
> > regularly update it with patches, etc. to work on FreeBSD. ?DMI support
> > and so on I don't think can be added (at least not by me), but simple
> > ASCII decoding? ?Very possible.
>
> That would be absolutely helpful! After all, FreeBSD is primarily a
> server OS, and where would one have ECC if not on servers. Being able
> to determine what's wrong with memory would be certainly very valuable
> for many admins.

This has been done, and it was committed a couple days ago as
sysutils/mcelog.  There are a couple thing about the port which bother
me[1], and there is one warning which can be safely ignored (I'm a
strong advocate of -Werror) but I do have a fix for that, but otherwise
it's functional.

Give it a try for yourself and see if it suffices.

[1]: The committer changed a bunch of things which were labelled "minor"
yet bother me enough that I'm forcing the OCD part of me to let them
slide.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |