rsync corrupted MAC

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 10 20:28:00 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 10, 2011 2:38:55 pm Larry Rosenman wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 10:47 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:06:26 pm Larry Rosenman wrote:
> >> Any ideas on which side or what might be broke here?
> >>
> >> ler/MAIL-ARCHIVE/2008/12/INBOX
> >> Corrupted MAC on input.
> >> Disconnecting: Packet corrupt
> >> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (33845045 bytes received so far)
> > [receiver]
> >> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605)
> > [receiver=3.0.9]
> >> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1450 bytes received so far)
> > [generator]
> >> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(605) [generator=3.0.9]
> > I've had somewhat similar issues (ssh getting corruption in its data stream)
> > when a NIC in my netbook was corrupting packet data when it ran at 1G (it
> > worked fine at 10/100).  Pyun eventually fixed the issue by applying enough
> > workarounds (it was likely a hardware bug in the NIC's chipset).  However, it
> > wasn't easy to debug unfortunately. :(
> >
> Any ideas on where to start?
>
> from the 8.2 box (tbh.lerctr.org in the script):
>
> 8.2->PIX->Provider->Internet->Motorola SBG6580 (Time-Warner)->Trendnet
> TEG-160WS Gig switch->9.0 box (borg.lerctr.org).
>
> So, where do I start?

In my case I was seeing other issues with the NIC (it would periodically "freeze"
spewing a constant stream of pause frames onto the LAN and refusing to receive
more frames), so I already suspected it of being an issue.  When I turned off
flow control so it wouldn't freeze, it started corrupting the packets instead.
Without that kind of smoking gun I would probably have had a hard time figuring
out the issue.  I would try switching various parts out to see if you can
narrow the issue down to a single component.

--
John Baldwin