bsdinstall partitioning

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 9 21:46:08 UTC 2011

Hi,

I just had my first encounter with the new installer. I chose manual
partitioning, created a BSD disk (not GPT) with one swap and the rest
for /. Rest of the installation went fine but then my system didn't
boot. I repeated everything and I chose guided partitioning. This time
it worked but I think the manual way with BSD disk format should also
work as it did in sysinstall. Besides, the partition types (freebsd-ufs,
freebsd-swap and freebsd-boot) should be listed somehow or there should
be radio buttons. If you choose manual partition with GPT, only the
first two are shown in the description so one may not know that there is
also a freebsd-boot type, which is mandatory.

Anyway, the rest of the installer and the configuration is very
convenient and I loved that I could configure my wifi connection w/o
hand-editing the config files, so thanks a lot to Nathan for the hard work!

Cheers,
Gabor