TCP Reassembly Issues

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Sat Nov 26 16:17:05 UTC 2011

On 11/26/11 00:23, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> [...]
> Could those who have reported the bug and are able to recompile their
> kernel to test a patch please try the following and report back to the
> list:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~lstewart/patches/misctcp/tcp_reass_plugzoneleak_10.x.r227986.patch
> [...]
Works for me!  I'm now getting a sustained throughput of 7.4MB/s,
compared to 4.3MB/s on 8.2-STABLE and 3.2MB/s on 7.4-RELEASE, all on
the same hardware (HP notebook with re 100Mb/s interface, reading from
an 8.2-STABLE server with an alc 1000Mb/s interface, via two gigabit
switches).

But I'm still bemused that there should have been any TCP reassembly
going on.  Doesn't that imply that there was packet fragmentation?  My
network is uniformly 1500 byte MTU.                         -- George