Heads up: you'll need to do a fresh "config KERNEL" etc

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu May 19 22:53:46 UTC 2011

> On 05/14/11 20:05, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a heads up that after a commit going into stable/8 in a few
> > minutes, you'll need to do a fresh kernel build, starting at
> > "config GENERIC", including rebuilding the NFS related modules.
> >
> > rick
> >

> Sensational! With this update, I finally get NFS client performance
> as good as (or better than) 7.x, and I have a warm, fuzzy feeling
> about 8.x at last. (Except for SCHED_ULE, which gives terrible
> performance on a single-core machine with a compute-bound process
> running in the background.) Thanks! -- George Mitchell

There's a weird (and you need to have a weird sense of humour to
enjoy it) flick called "Stranger than Paradise".

Anyhow, the above sounds like good news, although the commit it
was related to should have had no effect on perf, from what I can
see.

Assuming that you are using the regular 8.n client (and not the new
one), there have been some commits related to krpc bugs that could have
fixed cases which would have caused poor perf., although all of those
(except one where a client would hang on a TCP reconnect attempt) are in
8.2.

So, happy to hear it works for you now, but have no idea why;-) rick