FreeBSD mail was down for a few hours

Simon L. B. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Thu May 19 11:48:26 UTC 2011

On 19 May 2011, at 12:28, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:55:57AM +0200, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Just FYI, the RAID controller on mx1.FreeBSD.org decided to take a break (IE, firmware crashed) so that all inbound mail, and much internal mail too, was not delivered for around 4.5 hours.
>>
>> I think mx1 was one of the hosts which have not had RAID firmware etc. updated so it's likely the problem has already been fixed, but I will look into that when I have some spare time.
>
> I'm curious -- what brand of RAID controller and what driver on FreeBSD?
> Not that I have any solutions, just curious about what's in use.

Hey,

The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with a PERC 5/i RAID controller (IE. really LSI MegaRAID) using the mfi(4) driver.

Many of the other primary FreeBSD.org systems are running on similar hardware.

At some point I will get around to updating our machine webpage again :-)

For mx1 the machine page is actually correct: http://www.freebsd.org/internal/machines.html

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen