Heads up: you'll need to do a fresh "config KERNEL" etc

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun May 15 01:00:13 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 08:05:41PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Just a heads up that after a commit going into stable/8 in a few
> minutes, you'll need to do a fresh kernel build, starting at
> "config GENERIC", including rebuilding the NFS related modules.

Rick,

Can you explain why a kernel reconfig would be required if the
kernel configuration (e.g. GENERIC) hasn't been changed?

http://www.freshbsd.org/?branch=RELENG_8&project=freebsd

Possibly the commit site doesn't have the most recent commits?

I guess what I'm asking is: why is a kernel reconfig required if only
the NFS code itself changed?  A buildworld/buildkernel should be
sufficient, no?