zpool upgrade, can't boot

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Thu May 5 09:36:01 UTC 2011

On 3/05/11 2:42 AM, Jeff Blank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from 8.0-STABLE to 8.2-STABLE (Apr. 29 checkout)
> and upgraded my zpool (includes root FS) from v13 to v15.  This is a
> dual-boot laptop, so I'm using MBR/boot0 and not GPT.  Here's what
> happens when I boot:
>
> F1  Win
> F2  ?
> F3  FreeBSD
>
> F6 PXE
> Boot:  F3
> ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 15 (should be 13)
> No ZFS pools located, can't boot
>
> I've googled around, but I can't find anything relevant for MBR/boot0
> configurations, just GPT.  I've ensured that the loaders and
> boot0/boot1/boot2 are all new, and I rebuilt/reinstalled them in a
> fixit environment just to be sure.  I also ran 'boot0cfg -B' (with an
> appropriate -b), but nothing has changed.  How can I get my pool
> booting again?

Not only do you have to get the boot loaders installed properly [1] but also there is a breakage in the FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE code [2]. The MBR bootloader is broken in 8.2 and will not work with ZFS under at least some circumstances (2 of our boxes had the problem). The problem has been reported on the freebsd-fs list and I notice a fix has gone into svn for the 8-STABLE branch.

You need to get a bootloader from 8-CURRENT or convert your partitions over to GPT if you hit that particular bug. But you aren't up to hitting that bug yet... you haven't installed the newer bootloader at the point you are up to.

Ari

[1]
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=153552

--