mps driver instability under stable/8

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Tue May 3 13:52:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

KDM> It looks like you have a SAS2008, with the 4.0 firmware.  I think it would
KDM> be worthwhile to upgrade to the 9.0 firmware.  I know for sure there are
KDM> issues with the 2.0 firmware, and I know the 9.0 firmware works fairly
KDM> well.  I don't know whether the 4.0 firmware has any severe issues, but it
KDM> would be good to eliminate firmware bugs before we chase driver issues.

[snip]

KDM> Well, I think the first thing to do is upgrade the firmware and see if that
KDM> fixes it.

Well, I tried, and unfortunately I can not say that I'm happy after the
upgrade. :(

Particularly, adapter now takes *VERY* long time (>10 minutes) to initialize,
and report as "ERROR" in BIOS utility (while seeing all 24 disks; however, it
reports 8 x36 expanders instead of one).

I can't boot the system off this array yet; will experiment further :(

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]