Automatic reboot doesn't reboot

Olaf Seibert O.Seibert at cs.ru.nl
Tue May 3 10:08:59 UTC 2011

On Tue 03 May 2011 at 02:21:13 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> There are two things you might try fiddling with.  These are sysctls so
> you can try them on the fly:
>
> hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot
> hw.acpi.handle_reboot

Thanks. For now I've set the second to 1 and we'll see if that affects
matters.

> Check out the thread Peter Jeremy provided.  This is a near-sure
> indicator of ZFS ARC exhaustion, and you seem to know of that.  What's
> very interesting to me is this part of your mail:
>
> Is this box running i386 or amd64?  If amd64, I can't explain why your

It's amd64. I double-checked just one, you never know what stupid
mistakes one might make :-)

> /boot/loader.conf settings aren't taking -- they should be for sure.
> Maybe provide us a full dmesg and XXX out things you consider
> sensitive.  If i386, I'm not too surprised that some automatic defaults
> get chosen instead of what you ask.

Based on one of your mails where setting vm.kmem_size to twice the real
RAM size had adverse effects, I've taken the setting out to see if that
improves matters. I'll have to wait until the next crash (or opportunity
to reboot without too much disturbance) to see the effect.

I put dmesg.boot in my other reply.

Thanks,
> | Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at parodius.com |
-Olaf.
--
Pipe rene = new PipePicture(); assert(Not rene.GetType().Equals(Pipe));