kern/143370: splash_txt ASCII splash screen module

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Thu Jun 30 03:11:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:47:45PM +1000, Antony Mawer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM, jhell <jhell at dataix.net> wrote:
> > Youve been running this in production... How often do these servers
> > reboot ;¿ and is it to identify what is actually running on the machine
> > so they are not confused with surrounding equipment ?
> >
> > Most admins that I know don't bother with things like splash screens on
> > 'production' equipment because its irrelevant to the actual server
> > usage and unneeded overhead since the actual boot messages prove much
> > more useful than some random ascii or bmp/pcx.
>
> They're embedded-style server systems at remote client sites, about
> 1200 of them. The splash module is just a visual "nicety" which is
> displayed during startup - at least providing some feedback as to what
> the system is doing. These are systems aimed at a non-tech audience,
> so those "niceties" count.
>
> The alternative to that was either standard kernel messages during
> boot, or a silent boot, both of which tend to confuse the crap out of
> non-tech end users.

Yeah I agree. I originally downloaded your patch, I think it was for a
6.X system back then ~2008-09ish possibly even 7.X and twiddled with it
for a bit playing around with all the funkiness of TheDraw and getting
that good ole feeling of BBS days. But that's usually about as far as I
go with things like that as you  could probably tell from above ;)

I was going through my archive file directory probably last month and
came across the copy of the program which made me remember that patch,
funny coincidence that it comes back up now ;)

I must say though having to use a reproducible .bin file over trying to
figure out all the complexities of making a proper gzip'd xpm,bmp,pcx
file was NICE!

My first attempt ever making a splash image bmp was a fail due to manual
reading problems but needless to say it was a pain. TheDraw nearly
painless but how long can we seriously hold on to that program and will
there ever be anything to replace it ?