kern/143370: splash_txt ASCII splash screen module

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Thu Jun 30 01:33:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 07:04:31PM +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:50:15 +1000
> Antony Mawer <lists at mawer.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Not sure if this is the right place to post it -- about 6 years ago I
> > put together a module which displays an ASCII splash screen on boot
> > (rather than the graphical splash_pcx and splash_bmp modules). We have
> > been running it in production since that time without issue.
>
> So, the difference between this and loader.conf's loader_logo construct is that
> a) this is a proper splash screen module
> b) you can / must design your splash screen with a separate program (compared to write / modify Forth code)
>
> Is my understanding correct?

Sorry but I can never resist...

Youve been running this in production... How often do these servers
reboot ;¿ and is it to identify what is actually running on the machine
so they are not confused with surrounding equipment ?

Most admins that I know don't bother with things like splash screens on
'production' equipment because its irrelevant to the actual server
usage and unneeded overhead since the actual boot messages prove much
more useful than some random ascii or bmp/pcx.

Again though my view of a production box/blade may be quite a bit
different than your usage so all-in-all nice contribution, Im just that
guy that doesn't waste time covering up usefulness.