current status of digi driver

David Boyd David.Boyd at insightbb.com
Thu Jun 23 22:23:33 UTC 2011

While attempting to upgrade our comm servers from 7.4-RELEASE to
8.2-RELEASE, I discovered that the digi driver didn't make the grade.

I searched the archives and found discussions in August 2008 concerning
drivers that were disconnected for lack of MPSAFEness.  The threads
continued right up to the point where it was agreed that the drivers
shouldn't be allowed to halt/delay the MPSAFE switch in 8.0-RELEASE.

It appears that there was also agreement that (at least) some of the
drivers, digi included, would be converted soon after 8.0-RELEASE.

The pre-MPSAFE code appears to be included in the most recent -STABLE
and -CURRENT, but doesn't get built.  The HARDWARE.TXT still includes digi
among supported multiport serial device drivers.

Is there any plan to bring digi forward?

We have about 55 modem ports over ten 8-port Xr cards (PCI) that connect
remote sites via dial-up.

These work perfectly with 7.4-RELEASE.

We would like to see them work perfectly with 8.x-RELEASE or 9.x-RELEASE.

I have time and hardware to test with and can help as needed.

Thoughts?