MFC: graid(8) (RAID GEOM) support

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Tue Jun 21 19:16:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 05:51:24PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Sorry for the cross-post, but I thought both lists would want to know
> about this.
>
> Looks like mav@ just committed this ~17 hours ago:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/geom/raid/g_raid.c
>
> Those who have historically wanted to use Intel MatrixRAID (now called
> Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology)), but haven't due to the severe
> issues/risks with ataraid(4), will probably be very interested in
> this commit.  I know I am!
>
> I plan on stress-testing the Intel support on a 2-disk system with
> RAID-1 enabled, and will document my experiences, procedures, etc...
>
> Thanks, mav@ and imp@ !
>
> I'll be sending another mail momentarily asking about USB memory stick
> image building, since to accomplish the above, I want to do a
> "bare-bones" install on our test system (e.g. enable Intel RAID, set up
> 2 disks in a RAID-1 mirror, boot a USB memory stick that contains this
> latest RELENG_8 build, and do sysinstall, etc.. the normal way).

> MFC r219974, r220209, r220210, r220790:
> Add new RAID GEOM class, that is going to replace ataraid(4) in supporting
> various BIOS-based software RAIDs. Unlike ataraid(4) this implementation
> does not depend on legacy ata(4) subsystem and can be used with any disk
> drivers, including new CAM-based ones (ahci(4), siis(4), mvs(4), ata(4)
> with `options ATA_CAM`). To make code more readable and extensible, this
> implementation follows modular design, including core part and two sets
> of modules, implementing support for different metadata formats and RAID
> levels.
>
> Support for such popular metadata formats is now implemented:
> Intel, JMicron, NVIDIA, Promise (also used by AMD/ATI) and SiliconImage.
>
> Such RAID levels are now supported:
> RAID0, RAID1, RAID1E, RAID10, SINGLE, CONCAT.
>
> For all of these RAID levels and metadata formats this class supports
> full cycle of volume operations: reading, writing, creation, deletion,
> disk removal and insertion, rebuilding, dirty shutdown detection
> and resynchronization, bad sector recovery, faulty disks tracking,
> hot-spare disks. For Intel and Promise formats there is support multiple
> volumes per disk set.
>
> Look graid(8) manual page for additional details.
>
> Co-authored by: imp
> Sponsored by:   Cisco Systems, Inc. and iXsystems, Inc.

By the way, it doesn't look like the graid(8) man page is being brought
in to the base system on either of the two RELENG_8 systems I've rebuilt
in the past few days.

I'm thinking /usr/src/sbin/geom/class/raid/graid.8 isn't being noticed
as a man page.

/usr/src/sbin/geom/class/raid/Makefile doesn't have MAN8=graid.8 in it,
is that the problem?

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |