MFC: graid(8) (RAID GEOM) support

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sat Jun 18 00:51:28 UTC 2011

Sorry for the cross-post, but I thought both lists would want to know
about this.

Looks like mav@ just committed this ~17 hours ago:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/geom/raid/g_raid.c

Those who have historically wanted to use Intel MatrixRAID (now called
Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology)), but haven't due to the severe
issues/risks with ataraid(4), will probably be very interested in
this commit.  I know I am!

I plan on stress-testing the Intel support on a 2-disk system with
RAID-1 enabled, and will document my experiences, procedures, etc...

Thanks, mav@ and imp@ !

I'll be sending another mail momentarily asking about USB memory stick
image building, since to accomplish the above, I want to do a
"bare-bones" install on our test system (e.g. enable Intel RAID, set up
2 disks in a RAID-1 mirror, boot a USB memory stick that contains this
latest RELENG_8 build, and do sysinstall, etc.. the normal way).

MFC r219974, r220209, r220210, r220790:
Add new RAID GEOM class, that is going to replace ataraid(4) in supporting
various BIOS-based software RAIDs. Unlike ataraid(4) this implementation
does not depend on legacy ata(4) subsystem and can be used with any disk
drivers, including new CAM-based ones (ahci(4), siis(4), mvs(4), ata(4)
with `options ATA_CAM`). To make code more readable and extensible, this
implementation follows modular design, including core part and two sets
of modules, implementing support for different metadata formats and RAID
levels.

Support for such popular metadata formats is now implemented:
Intel, JMicron, NVIDIA, Promise (also used by AMD/ATI) and SiliconImage.

Such RAID levels are now supported:
RAID0, RAID1, RAID1E, RAID10, SINGLE, CONCAT.

For all of these RAID levels and metadata formats this class supports
full cycle of volume operations: reading, writing, creation, deletion,
disk removal and insertion, rebuilding, dirty shutdown detection
and resynchronization, bad sector recovery, faulty disks tracking,
hot-spare disks. For Intel and Promise formats there is support multiple
volumes per disk set.

Look graid(8) manual page for additional details.

Co-authored by: imp
Sponsored by:   Cisco Systems, Inc. and iXsystems, Inc.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |