"log_sysevent: type 19 is not implemented" messages during boot

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 17 14:29:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Bartosz Stec <bartosz.stec at it4pro.pl> wrote:
> W dniu 2011-06-11 18:43, Sergey Kandaurov pisze:
>>
>> On 11 June 2011 20:01, Rolf Nielsen<listreader at lazlarlyricon.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> After going from 8.2-RELEASE to 8-STABLE (to get ZFS v28), I get
>>>
>>> log_sysevent: type 19 is not implemented
>>>
>>> exactly 20 times during boot. What does that message mean? Need I worry
>>> about it? And even if it's harmless, it annoys me, so can I get rid of
>>> it,
>>> and if so, how?
>>>
>> Hi.
>> This warning indeed came with ZFS v28 recently merged to 8-STABLE.
>> AFAIK it's rather harmless. It was silenced in current recently (see svn
>> r222343), and the fix is expected to be merged to 8-STABLE soon.
>>
> Are you sure that it's harmless? It appeared for me as an evidence of pool
> breakage. I had these messages when I ran any zpool command on broken pool.
> I do't havesingle one after pool is fixed. Here's my thread on freebsd-fs :
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-June/011639.html

Indeed. Same story here. Last week I've got my pool corrupted due to a
bad memory stick.  Then I've got tons of thse "log_sysevent: type
19..." messages. After re-importing the pool with -F the messages went
away. So, from where I stand, those messages do seem to correlate with
a problem and should not be hushed by default.

Instead, they should probably be converted to something easier to
understand by humans. Something like "Oops. I do hope you had a backup
of this pool." should do the trick.

--Artem