Panic during kernel booting on HP Proliant DL180G6 and latest STABLE

Bartosz Stec bartosz.stec at it4pro.pl
Fri Jun 17 13:42:12 UTC 2011

W dniu 2011-06-10 20:23, Vogel, Jack pisze:
> Er, so what if you get rid of ZFS,  does your panic go away? It doesn't really matter what type adapter it is, the igb driver only requests standard size clusters, so memory is getting trashed somewhere I suspect.
>
> Jack
Well, from my observations about this issue (which could be very wrong
because my lack of knowledge about BSD kernel) I don't suspect igb
driver directly, but rather an order which kernel is processing stuff
related to MSIX and hardware (so I suppose that  real cause of the
problem could be very hard to catch and repeat)? Here's why:

1. There's no panic when using GENERIC kernel. There's also nothing
unusual in my custom kernel (included in thread), neither in make.conf.

2. Before current build, panic was seen with igb driver included in
kernel, but no panic when using a module. Even better - no panic when
trying to load a module while igb driver is stil included in source. No
random memory corruption here - same scenario seen every boot with all
variants above. It's HP server with HP ECC memory by the way.

3. With current build kernel panics regardless if igb driver is a module
or included in kernel (unless i disable MSIX). But I found override - I
removed igb driver from kernel config, and a module from loader.conf.
Than booted in single user mode, and manually loaded igb driver. No
panic! Appareantly something gets wrong _only_ at boot time.

--
Bartosz Stec