doscmd under 8-stable, anyone?

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Wed Jun 15 14:44:57 UTC 2011

As Kostik Belousov wrote:

> Do sysctl security.bsd.map_at_zero=1

Just for the record, this sysctl also makes my really really old utree
binary work again.  The binary dates back to 386BSD 0.0, and I'm only
keeping it out of curiosity:

j at uriah 66% ls -l /usr/local/bin/utree
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  179639 Apr 30  1992 /usr/local/bin/utree*

The only thing to make it run is to use a termcap entry that is
smaller than 1024 byte, as this used to be a hard-coded limitation in
the termcap library of those days, and the binary is statically
linked.  TERM=vt100 works, xterm no longer does.

The ability to run this binary only serves as a proof that no backward
compatibility has ever been broken in FreeBSD. ;-)  (Obviously, all
the various COMPAT_* options must be present in the kernel config.)