Networking - CARP interfaces

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Jun 14 09:34:34 UTC 2011

Hello list,

Here I am today, setting up CARP interfaces on our backup firewalls, and
I'm wondering something...

Let's take the following scenario:

Datacenter PRIM, firewall PRIM:
- carp13 has public IPs X and Y and is master (advskew 100)

Datacenter PRIM, firewall BACK:
- carp13 has public IPs X and Y and is backup (advskew 150)

Datacenter BACK, firewall PRIM:
- carp13 has public IPs X, Y, W and Z (advskew 230, down)

Datacenter BACK, firewall BACK:
- carp13 has public IPs X, Y, W and Z (advskew 250, down)

If I bring up my carp13 interfaces on the backup datacenter, will they
become master because the carp interfaces on the primary datacenter is
lacking 2 public IPs ?

That would be a problem...

Has anyone faced this situation before ?

Also, adding IPs W and Z on my primary datacenter is not an option at
the moment.