HEADS UP: ZFS v28 merged to 8-STABLE

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Wed Jun 8 22:55:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:46:19AM +0200, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Marius Strobl
> <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 12:53:11PM +0200, Martin Matuska wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have merged ZFS version 28 to 8-STABLE (revision 222741)
> >>
> >> New major features:
> >>
> >> - data deduplication
> >> - triple parity RAIDZ (RAIDZ3)
> >> - zfs diff
> >> - zpool split
> >> - snapshot holds
> >> - zpool import -F. Allows to rewind corrupted pool to earlier
> >> ? transaction group
> >> - possibility to import pool in read-only mode
> >>
> >> For updating, there is a compatibility layer so that in the update phase
> >> most functionality of the new zfs binaries can be used with the old
> >> kernel module and old zfs binaries with the new kernel module.
> >
> > Beware that the compatibility layer is known broken on big-endian
> > architectures, i.e. powerpc64 and sparc64.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up! I was just about to update a couple of sparc64
> machines here. Fortunately, the only ZFS file systems there are external
> file systems (no /, /usr, /var etc...), so it's gonna be painless, I suppose.
> But what about other layouts? Does it mean that an installkernel, reboot,
> and installworld won't work?

No, using the old zfs binaries with the new kernel module triggers the
problem. Using the new zfs binaries with the new kernel module works
(at least with CURRENT) so you'd need disregard everything that is
documented and do what is not guaranteed to work but usually also does,
i.e. do installkernel, installworld and then reboot.

> >> If upgrading your boot pool to version 28, please don't forget to read
> >> UPDATING and properly update your boot code.
> >>
> >> Thanks to everyone working on the ZFS port, especially to
> >> Pawel Jakub Dawidek (pjd) for doing most of the work!

Marius