Fileserver panic - FreeBSD 8.1-stable and zfs

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 2 19:44:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen
<torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> FYI, in case it is interesting
> my zfs fileserver[1] just had a panic: (transcribed from screen)
> panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small: 1324613632 total allocated
> cpuid = 1

It's probably one of the most frequently reported issues with ZFS.
While things got quite a bit better lately, you still need to bump up
kernel VM size with vm.kmem_size tunable. I typically set vm.kmem_size
tunable to ~2x physical memory size.

> The machine runs:
> root at kg-f2# uname -a
> FreeBSD kg-f2.kg4.no 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #4: Fri Oct 29 12:11:48 CEST 2010     root at kg-f2.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

In general you may want to update to the latest -stable. There were a
lot of ZFS fixes committed.

--Artem