Living on gmirror: need to reincarnate /etc/rc.early

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 25 19:56:49 UTC 2011

On 01/24/2011 23:20, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In RELENG_8, gmirror is good enough to keep whole HDD pair withing the mirror.
> Its performance, stability any pretty ease of maintainance allows
> to use it widely.
>
> With wide deployment of gmirror in production I've faced inability
> of RELENG_8 to store kernel crashdumps out-of-the-box.
> gmirror manual page documents a way to setup FreeBSD so that
> it would store crashdumps again but that way involves /etc/rc.early
> removed from RELENG_8. I've read about intentions - it was unsafe etc.
> But we still need working crashdump support.
>
> Easiest way is to reincarnate /etc/rc.d/early support making it better and safer
> and it should support gmirror's mechanics for crashdumps out-of-the-box.

I'll tell you the same thing I told Kostik way back when I removed it.
This is the only thing that anyone has ever suggested a use for in
/etc/rc.early, and the "solution" in the man page is a hack. :)

If this is something that is necessary to do then I'd prefer to do it
properly and add an /etc/rc.d/gmirror that runs in the proper (early)
position, and then figure out the proper location in rc.d to handle the
second half of the configuration.

I'm happy to review patches.  :)

Doug

			-- OK Go